Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tight Security

When you visit Primary Children's Medical Center, they scan your driver's license and print you a name tag with your pic on it.  Subsequent visits can be made with them just looking up your scanned card and matching your name and picture.  I went to visit Holland (see below for details) on Saturday and again last night, when they already had my ID scanned from Saturday.

The conversation went like this:

Receptionist: Have you visited before? 
Me: Yes, a few days ago.
Receptionist: Last name?
Me: Andersen.  E-N.
Receptionist: What???  E-N-D-E..... what?
Me:  Andersen, with E-N at the end.  A-N-D-E-R-S-E-N.
Receptionist, sorely confused: Your first name is Ian?
Me: No, it's Lindsey...
Receptionist: And you're visiting an Andersen?
Me: No, that's my last name.  I am visiting the Youngs.
Receptionist: Oh... 
Me: I was saying E-N as the spelling of my last name, not Ian.
Receptionist: Yes, okay, I found you.  Here you go.

It wasn't until I was leaving when Aleta pointed to my shirt and said, "Um... that isn't you."



I hope she handles all the important medical records too.

**Aleta and Bryan's 3-yr-old daughter, Holland, has been in the hospital recovering from brain tumor surgery.  You can read more about it here.  The tumor biopsy showed it is benign, and they still have not been able to remove it all.  They will try again in three months, since Holland has stopped breathing multiple times under sedation and has gone under the knife twice in the past week for major brain surgery.  Good news, they got most of it out, it isn't cancerous, it shouldn't grow back, it shouldn't affect her functioning at all!  Bad news, she'll have to continue the MRIs and surgery later.  Prayers are appreciated!  

When I visited Holland last night, she had just received Valium and was laughing and smiling.  It was so good to see her like that again!  I brought her pizza and she was mad that I ate some too.  That's my Holland! 
 Poor Aleta's belly can be seen here as well - 34 weeks prego and living in a hospital.  She is such a trooper!

5 comments:

Aleta said...

LOVE it - "Lindsay Anderson"! That made me laugh so hard. And my belly looks huge - ugh :( But at this point I'd rather have a huge belly than a newborn, so I guess I can't complain.

Marianne said...

Oh my gosh, Lindsey!! Poor Holland. And poor Aleta!! Give them both my love, and they will have all the prayers I can muster.

The name tag thing is ridiculous.

kendahl a. said...

Poor tiny thing, dealing with a brain tumor. Not fun! And poor mama, so pregnant and sleeping in an ultra uncomfortable place. I hope things get better for them, quickly! And yes, hopefully she handles medical records because she's obviously above a typical person's IQ. hahaha that's just sad.

Eva Andersen said...

I guess i'm not really your mother then! I thought they got it all out! Oh well. Next time. Isn't it a miracle that a child could have two golf-sized globs pushing on her brain one day and the next, she's eating pizza in bed and laughing! Modern medicine, what a blessing.

kimmers said...

HAHA. Ian? I always thought you were Wendy? I am confused. :)

BTW, SO glad to hear things are going well. I'm glad Aleta didn't go into an early labor from the stress. Knowing my luck it would happen to me.