I am on the hunt today for images/information relating to my favorite gifts I received as a kid. I remember Christmas mornings filled with tears of joy at some of the gifts I received. Nowadays, thankfully, I'm more excited about the gifts I give. I want to know if any of you remember any of these toys, and I am fully acknowledging the fact that I was a tad ridiculous.
1. The Barbie Dream Boat. I even remember seeing the commercials for this in 1994. I asked for it, I prayed for it, I got it. Behold, my childhood:
2. The Barbie Magical Motor home.
Oh baby. More pink! The truck part could detach and we still have it in the toy room, plus that futon pad and pillow. Barbie and I enjoyed many luxurious camping trips together with that RV.
3. The framed unicorn art. I remember Ryan had me unwrap a completely empty box under the tree from him when I was 8 or 9. I was so mad at him for teasing me and laughing when there was nothing in the gift. I think I cried tears of anger, then he said, "Linz, I'm just teasing. The real gift is in my room. Hold on." He came back upstairs with three side-by-side framed pieces of fine art, each depicting a night scene with stars and a magnificent unicorn. I cannot find anything closer than this depiction:
The tears turned to tears of joy and gratitude. I also remember exactly where these were the first time I saw them. Leaning against our board game closet in the hallway. Such beauty had never before been seen by these eyes.
4. The birthstone ring.
This one was also from Ryan. It looked a lot like the above picture. I still have it, actually, in a jewelry box on my dresser. It meant SO much to me. I even remember opening it Christmas morning in the living room, and saying, "Oh! Ryan!" I was 8 or 9. One year, I lost it, and cried and cried. I prayed to find it. I remember praying to find it. After the winter snow melted, I went into the front yard and saw it in the grass. I said a prayer of gratitude right then and there.
5. Barbie Starlight Splendor Gowns (and other dresses)
We still have the fraying remains of some of these dresses. I was so enraptured at how glamorous these gowns were. Sometimes on holidays, I would just dress up my barbies and do their hair. I wanted them to look nice for Thanksgiving dinner! I also remember getting a huge pallet of other dresses, probably the size of a poster.
6. The best Barbies I ever had:
Hollywood Hair Teresa - played with her until I was, no joke, 14 years old. She was my favorite. She was my bff.
Aladdin and Jasmine (and the less important Genie) - found them hiding in my dad's office before Christmas morning and had to pretend to be surprised when I opened them later. I was too excited to wait!
We still have those clothes. Bonus: Genie's head popped out and could be turned upside-down for a different facial expression. You can sort-of see the illustration on the box.
7. Care Bears
8. Cabbage Patch Kids Dolls
They came with a signed Birth Certificate! Hello! Awesome! The tragedy included with this one is what happened to my Cabbage Patch Kids Doll. My brothers got her when we were living in the Provo house, took our dad's staple gun, and massacred her head. There were probably 57 staples in her head when I found her. Three older brothers? A princess/unicorn/barbie-obsessed girl? I'm surprised I didn't run away. Oh wait, I did. Several times.
This is me with my first CPKD, when I was two years old:
Okay, readers - I am super interested in your own favorite toy memories! Care to share??










7 comments:
You have an amazing memory! I do not remember hardly any of the toys I received, but I was never good at playing with toys. I was into sitcoms from age 5 which is totally embarrassing.
Ryan is quite the gift giver! I can only imagine the efforts he must have made to find such an exquisite image as he did with those unicorn pictures.
Lindsey + Christmas gifts = crying and praying . . . . oh, and I guess Barbie. I remember us playing with all that Barbie stuff actually :-) Fun times.
http://jennseeg.blogspot.com/2013/02/for-lindsey.html
Wow - I remember seeing commercials for the barbie camper, but not the dream boat. That thing is amazing! A real blender?! And so much pink too! Hilarious that you remember exactly where the present sat too. Love it.
So a couple of toys stick out in my mind: some foam blocks (which I still have - haha!) that you can play with in the bathtub. I saw them in the store (didn't really talk to my parents about it, at least not that I recall) and wished for Santa to bring them, which he did and I then knew the magic of Christmas and that Santa was real.
Another favorite - kid sister! please tell me you had one! I had the blonde haired one, my sister had the red headed one. Bryan had the boy version - "my buddy" :)
And what would childhood be without a barbie. Please google some images for California Dream Midge 1987. She was my favorite. It's just too bad I didn't have the dream boat to put her in!
Lindsey, I am dying here. I didn't realize you added this to your blog until tonight. PREEEEEECIOUS! I remember the enjoyment I received at being able to give you the things you wanted so badly. Barbie seems to have dominated the scene! I think that cabbage patch doll was a gift from Oma. You should thank her. She would love it. The doll was red-headed just like you!
i have a married blog now. except i've forgotten how to add blogs to my blog..blogersonblogblog. so here's my blog address:
torigotmarriednoway.blogspot.com
(i'mkidding.)
toriandjaredpowell.blogspot.com is the for reals one. but the first would have been way funnier. love you!
you had a way better childhood than me! Ask Tori, she would get everything I asked for...it's was weird!
Post a Comment