Friday, January 8, 2010

Dear Ice Cream,




I miss you.

Love, Lindsey "Lactose Intolerant from age 25" Andersen


Yeah.



The past few months, I have been getting these sick spells where my stomach hurts so bad, I can hardly breathe or move. It feels like gas (ewww) but worse - and shoots pain up through my back and shoulders as well as the stomach. Worst ever. Kim told me that people with lactose intolerance have explained it like that to her before. There's no way I had that. I have enjoyed milk my whole life and ice cream is my #1 numero uno number one favorite food in the world. If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, it would be ice cream.

Nevertheless, I realized that the last time I had the pain, it was after ice cream. I decided to try it out.

Saturday, Heather and I got some shakes and I ate a lot of it to make sure the test would work.

Yeaahhh.... sickest I have been. I rocked back and forth on my bed for about an hour just trying to breathe. It didn't make sense that I had lots of milk a couple days before and had not been sick though.... and I thought Lactose Intolerance was something you are born with.

This is from WebMD:
When lactose moves through the large intestine (colon) without being properly digested, it can cause uncomfortable symptoms such as gas, belly pain, and bloating. Some people with lactose intolerance cannot digest any milk products. Others can eat or drink small amounts of milk products or certain types of milk products without problems.
Lactose intolerance most commonly runs in families, and symptoms usually develop during the teen or adult years. Most people with this type of lactose intolerance can eat some milk or dairy products without problems.

YAY! That is such.... great news.
Fun times: The other night, I had all three of these products in my shopping basket when I came across a male, single coworker (the Dwight bobblehead thief) at Walmart. He looked and said, "Whatcha got there?" Yeah..... I laughed all the way to my car... and the next day. I am tempted to put some gas-x pills on his desk, but I'm secretly hoping he didn't see anything. The boxes were mostly face-down. ......Please oh please oh please oh please..... If he did, I will definitely leave some on his desk. That would be funny, no? How embarrassing....

8 comments:

HJolley said...

sooooooo sad. but soooooo happy that they have stuff you can take to still enjoy dairy goodness.
i think you should talk openly with your co-worker about it. it would be a bonding experience. ask him if he has ever had those experiences. just a thought.

kendahl a. said...

Oh, honey! I think I would die without ice cream. I'm sorry!

kimmers said...

Well, what he did before he saw you was much more embarassing, so I think you still have a one up on him. :)

Evan Andersen said...

Welcome to the club. Don't worry though, soy milk can be your best friend even if beef milk has turned against you.

Evan Andersen said...

Oh, and "froyo" is better than ice cream anyway.

Merilee said...

I love icecream, but I guess I could live without it. My old roomie Emily is lactose intolerant as well as allergic to iceberg lettuce, chocolate, tomatoes, and strawberries. I know, it's a hard life. At least you have it all figured out and can drink milk with limited gas...

Guereca Family said...

Those symptoms are almost exactly what I had when I had a faulty gallbladder. No bueno. There's also this new lactose free milk called Almond Breeze. I've only seen it at walmart, but the vanilla flavor is amazing.

Lindsey said...

Update - Sissa - Bingo. Faulty gallbladder that I let go on for a year and a half. HAHA!!! I should have considered your comment more a long time ago!