Monday, January 3, 2011

THE Column.


All yearlong, I anticipate one newspaper article with an almost paralyzing excitement: Miami Herald humor columnist Dave Barry's Year in Review.

The article appears in New Year's newspapers across the country. I was first introduced to Dave's writing in my freshman English class at BYU. He had an entry in one of our textbooks and I read it probably 10 dozen times. I became obsessed with it, reading it out loud and acting it out to everyone I knew, much to their utter annoyance, I'm sure.

I loved it, though, and then found out about his yearly review articles. I know not everyone shares a common sense of humor. I have sat through many painful standup "comedy" routines at talent shows and the like, wondering why the people were laughing.

Dave's humor is spot-on for my likes, however, and I hope you enjoy it too:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/01/v-fullstory/1992746/dave-barrys-2010-year-in-review.html

2 comments:

Aleta said...

Long read - but funny :) Many amusing parts, but a favorite of mine was how he kept bringing up that the Camry was crashing into everything. Let's hope mine doesn't :)

heidi said...

thomas lives for this too and laughs until he cries like a baby. and then he reads it again. lately he has been reading the live blogging by dave barry of 24.