Monday, November 24, 2014

Working on a Filter

I have been singing with an interfaith choir as part of our stake music activities.  That's how I met the polygamist TV reality star a few posts back.  Here is a video recap.  Nobody show Toshiko how flat my fingers are on that piano.  She would be so ashamed.  I can still feel her grabbing my hands and curving my fingers for me.  Ah, the things teenagers will do to rebel a little and grow out their nails with blue polish...and learning how to play the piano with nails as a result.  Boom.

United in song from ElevenNews on Vimeo.


You can also see my blonde hair peek out from the back corner of the choir on the songs I wasn't accompanying.

Yesterday, we performed in the Provo Community United in Christ Church for their Sunday services.  Afterward, Dave the director asked if I could sightread a few songs for a fellow choir member (and accompanist) so he could hear her sing them and choose one for the Christmas concert.  She placed a Kurt Bestor arrangement on the piano for me, and I played through it.  It was pretty weird as far as musicality goes, but totally signature Kurt Bestor.  I made a witty comment somewhere in the middle: "This is SOOOOO Kurt Bestor."  Most fellow pianists would have laughed along and agreed with me, because we ALL know the agony/love that is Bestor music.  She was no exception.  The girl laughed and said, "I know, right?"

When we finished that and another song, Dave said, "I loved them.  I definitely want you to sing a few of your dad's songs, though."  I asked, "Oh, who is your dad?"

"Kurt Bestor."



Well... great.  FILTER, LINDSEY!


3 comments:

HJolley said...

Oh man. I have done stuff like this too many times to count. Just the other day, I shared a story about a girl TO the girl I was referring to. Nightmare.

Merilee said...

Oh yes, I have done that many times. Here's to living filter free my friends!

The McLane Blog Page: said...

haha! awesome