Tuesday, February 3, 2009

He's Just Not That Into Me?


So, two years ago almost exactly, I was crushing on a boy named Brady and Carli had a crush too. We were convinced that these boys just had a few things holding them back from dating us, such as shyness or a (cough, cough) girlfriend. Certainly they liked us and wanted to date us. That was obvious.....

Not so obvious to our female, estrogen-based (il)logical minds, however, was the fact that if they were actually into us, they would be dating us.

I had heard about a book from my friend Tamara at work. She read it and told me it changed her life. She changed all her perceptions and then got married soon thereafter because she stopped wasting her time with boys who weren't worth her time and Andrew came along. The rest is history.

I told Carli about this book and we checked it out from the Orem Public Library. It was seriously fantastic. If you can edit out the f-words and skip the chapters about (cough, cough) physical relations, then it's a great read. Carli and I read it out loud to each other and our parents, and made some realizations along the way. The book is written in a format where women submit letters to the author, telling him that their guy wants to date them except for one little detail. The letters are made up by the author, but he answers them in the book as well. Oh man, think of ANY excuse you have EVER made for why a guy who is supposedly into you is not dating you. He wrote about it in the book. It was hilarious and hard-to-take at some points.

I even found myself saying, "No, but he REALLY is shy!!!" and my family laughed at me. That's exactly what these women are saying in their letters. The author was a writer on Sex and the City and was so sick of hearing these excuses from all the female employees there. He wasn't just bugged at the women complaining, he was bugged that they did not think they deserved more.

The book is a booster too, because he basically says that we have wasted our time with these barneys and that if a guy wants to date a girl, no matter how shy, busy, taken, stupid, ridiculous he is, he will go for it. So, we need to just look for those guys. The guys who actually do ask us out and date us are actually into us, and guess what? Nobody else is! Deal with it and move on!

Okay, so Carli and I LOVED this book and I highly recommend it for any single girl. It really changed how I perceive guys. Instead of holding on after rejection and taking months to get over a guy, I drop it like it's hot if he's not making any moves and I move on. My last... crush... lasted a long time and I did hold on for a long time, but once we finally talked about it and I found out he was not into me, I let go and it only took weeks to get over it. It's not worth it, you know?

OKAY, the WHOLE point of this rant is that they have made a movie (PTL!!!) based on the book, and it comes out on FRIDAY!!!!!!!! I CANNOT STINKIN' WAIT!

6 comments:

stevie kay said...

No wonder you can't hang out with me on Friday ;-D

Katie said...

Luke and I saw the previews and there are A LOT of big names in there..I think it'll be pretty good! Let me know what you thought!

Lindsey said...

Stevie, you can come with! :) We've just had this girls' night planned for months. :)

Heather said...

yeah, yeah!!!! And yes, they read it out loud to everyone at our house... it was fun though, and I psyched about the movie! girl's night! girl cousins come!!!

stevie kay said...

I want to, but I'll have to see where we're going to be that night and if anyone can watch Landon. I'm kind of at my parents' mercy since I'm in their car.

kimmers said...

I really hope the movie doesn't suck because you are stuck watching it AGAIN with us Saturday morning! Holla!

So I have to put in my two cents about this book. Besides a couple cockroaches here and there, it really does have a fabulous point in helping women see that they do not deserve the stupid men they so easily get involved with. It changed my life. I should probably read it again as a reminder, but really, it's awesome.